While Canadians prepare for a federal election on May 2, mediators helped by Qatari state minister Ahmed Bin Abdullah Al-Mahmoud are preparing the final draft of a peace agreement hoped to end the eight-year armed conflict in Darfur. The draft will be submitted to the Sudanese government and the two rebel factions, the Liberation and Justice Movement (LJM) and the Justice and Equality Movement (JEM), in the last week of April. The leaders of the LJM are optimistic that a suitable agreement will be found before the 27 April deadline, but JEM officials have said they will only sign an agreement “if the Sudanese government accepts all our positions”, the most significant of which is a regional authority in Darfur. All Darfur stakeholders, including LJM, JEM, tribal leaders, refugee and IDP representatives, and civil society groups will meet in Doha to debate and hopefully adopt the peace agreement from 18-23 May of this year. The international community must maintain pressure on the government and the rebel groups to come to an agreement that includes the interests of all, especially the displaced persons of Darfur.
One thing that may give the rebel groups leverage in relation to the government in Khartoum is the recent acceptance by President Omar al-Bashir of responsibility for the conflict in Darfur. President al-Bashir sat down with the Guardian of the UK for an exclusive interview – “the first with a Western news agency since he was charged with genocide by the international criminal court “. While his acceptance of responsibility for deaths in Darfur is notable, al-Bashir continues to deny the charges of the ICC as political and says the numbers of deaths and displaced persons released by the UN are grossly exaggerated.
President al-Bashir’s continuing denial of the charges of the ICC is not helping to end the impunity currently enjoyed by those attacking aid workers in Darfur. According to the Aid Worker Security Database, Sudan is second only to Afghanistan in terms of the number of incidents of aid workers being killed or injured. This creates a tense situation where aid workers are becoming reluctant to enter some of the areas most affected by the conflict due to the lack of security. UN officials are also unsure of the best way to deal with the situation, given the lack of judicial infrastructure in Darfur and the worry that giving in to the demands of kidnappers may further encourage violence against aid workers.
IRIN has reported: “The latest incident against aid workers was resolved on 13 April when the African Union-UN Mission in Darfur (UNAMID), the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) and camp leaders successfully mediated the release of 12 Sudanese aid workers who had been taken hostage by a youth group at Kalma camp for the internally displaced in South Darfur.
The aid workers had been conducting a vaccination campaign and were taken hostage in retaliation for the arrest, four days earlier, of an IDP who worked for a national NGO. “
If the peace agreement currently being formulated is to have any real effect or to encourage reconciliation and peace amongst the peoples of Darfur, the impunity currently being enjoyed by those who attack aid workers, as well as by the president of Sudan, must end.



